Now is the time for the accepted students to apply for a study permit in Sweden for the Fall term 2021.

We summarize the essential contents for resident permit application for non EU students as follows:

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS need to be summited:

  • A copy of the valid passport
  • Acceptance letter from University for full-time studying
  • First semester tuition fee invoice
  • Funding documents:
    • Your own bank statements or guardian’s name (if the student is under 18 years old). The certificate must be translated into English and no later than 3 months before the date you are applying for a residence permit from. Credit, funds or shares are not counted as your own bank assets. If you refer to your own bank assets in Iranian rials (IRR), the Swedish Migration Agency uses the same exchange rate as the Ministry for Foreign Affairs uses in visa matters. 1 SEK is equal to 27909.572984 IRR for May 2021.
    • Scholarship (if any). If you will receive a stipend or the like, you must send a recently issued document in your name with information on the monthly amount or total amount. It shall also be clear from the document what time you will receive funds disbursed and how much of the money will be available for your living expenses
    • Financial assistance, for example student loans (if any)
  • Documents of family members (wife, husband, cohabiting partner, registered partner and unmarried children under the age of 18) who will come to live with student in Sweden:
    • a copy of a marriage certificate or the equivalent (applies to married couples and registered partners)
    • documents that show that you have lived together in your country of origin, such as a population registry certificate, joint rental contract or proof of joint purchase of your home
    • a short letter from the person in Sweden in which they confirm that you are going to live together in Sweden, if you are not applying for a permit at the same time.
    • a birth certificate or other proof of birth for the child showing the names of the parents
    • consent from the other guardian, if they are not also coming to Sweden, or
    • proof that a family member is the sole guardian. This could be a court order, or a death certificate if the other parent has died. If there is joint guardianship, a copy of the other guardian’s passport or another form of identification must also be provided. This applies to children under 18
    • adoption papers if the child is adopted.


  • For student/main applicant: 8.568 SEK / month x number of months applying for a residence permit
  • For family members:
    3,570 SEK / adult / month x number of months applying for a residence permit
    2,142SEK / child / month x number of months applying for a residence permit

If you can show that you receive free housing and/or food through the higher education organizer or an organization that works for international exchange, the amount per month can be reduced. For applications received on or after 1 January 2021, the monthly amount is reduced by SEK 1,666 per month for free food and SEK 1,666 per month for free housing.


  • If the total continuous period of time for your residence permits in Sweden is more than one year, you will be nationally registered in Sweden, you are considered to have a comprehensive health insurance.
  • If you have been admitted to studies for less than one year, you will not be nationally registered in Sweden. If you then do not have insurance through the higher education provider, you must be insured by having or having applied for your own insurance. The insurance must be valid for the entire time you will be in Sweden and cover costs for emergency and other medical care, dental care and hospital stays. It must also cover expenses for transportation home for medical reasons.


  • Residence permits for higher education studies can be granted from 1 August 2021, regardless of when the semester starts.
  • Study program over 1 year, the first residence permit will be able to be issued for a term of 13 months, then renewed in Sweden.
  • 2-year residence permit: During the period 16 October 2019 to 16 October 2022 a pilot project in cooperation between the Swedish Migration Agency and five higher education institutions enables students to apply for two-year residence permits for studies:
    • Jönköping University
    • KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm
    • Linnaeus University
    • Lund University
    • Umeå University.

Students must renew the residence permit, but apply no earlier than six months before the current permit expires.

~ VNS Consulting

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from - Youtube
Consent to display content from - Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from - Google
Consent to display content from - Spotify
Sound Cloud
Consent to display content from - Sound